Balwyn Plumbing Experts Since 1988

Phone Newman Plumbing on: 9899 3442

Balwyn is a residential suburb 10 km. east of Melbourne. To its south are Canterbury and Surrey Hills and northwards are Balwyn North and Greythorn, which extend to the Koonung Creek.

Balwyn was part of Henry Elgar’s Special Survey of 8 square miles {1841}, which was subdivided into small farms and grazing runs. One of the subdivisions was bought by a Scotseditor and journalist, Andrew Murray in the late 1850s. He built a house which he named Balwyn, approximately on the site of the present Fintona Girls’ School in Balwyn Road. Murray planted a vineyard, and reputedly derived “Balwyn” from the Gaelic “bal” and the Saxon “wyn”. Other vineyards prospered until the 1890s, and grape vine branches formed part of Camberwell city’s crest. Balwyn was in the north of Camberwell city.

In 1868 the Balwyn primary school was opened in Balwyn Road, about 100 meters north of Whitehorse Road. It was moved to the present site, south of Whitehorse Road, in 1880, opposite Murray’s property. Balwyn’s first town centre was near the intersection of Balwyn and Whitehorse Roads, containing a few shops, a blacksmith and the athenaeum or mechanics’ institute. Anglican services began in 1868 and the St. Barnabas church, Balwyn Road, was opened in 1872. It was on the Register of the National Estate.

The southern part of Balwyn contains Deepdene, which in 1891 had a station on the Outer Circle railway running from Oakleigh to Fairfield via Camberwell. The railway was built with land subdivisions in view, but its partial closure in a few years dampened prospects. A service continued from Camberwell to Deepdene until 1943, the last steam train service in metropolitan Melbourne, the “Deepdene Dasher”. Deepdene’s residential development awaited tramline extension in 1916 northwards along Burke Road to Whitehorse Road and eastwards along Whitehorse Road to Surrey Hills. Further to the north Balwyn had neither train nor tram, and a tram extension along Doncaster Road did not come until 1938. The terminus, however, was short of Balwyn’s easterly limit and the area beyond the terminus {Balwyn North and Greythorn} awaited development in the 1950s and 1960s.

Deepdene primary school was opened in 1915. The Camberwell Grammar School, at the southern edge of Deepdene, occupies “Roystead”, which was a name given to one of the stations on the Outer Circle. Deepdene has an active strip shopping centre along the Whitehorse Road tramline, and further east Whitehorse Road shops are situated in Balwyn. Balwyn’s strip shopping centre is larger than Deepdene’s, with a council library and community nearby. There are several reserves, one of them being Beckett Park on an elevated site. Adjoining the park is the Maranoa Garden, planted with diverse collection of Australian flora. Oliver J. Gilpen’s mansion, subsequently Mary’s Mount convent and accommodation for elderly persons, is near Maranoa Gardens.

Newman plumbing are the experienced plumbers in Balwyn Plumbing Experts Since 1988 providing plumbing services to homes and businesses including:

  • Blocked drains
  • Hot water units
  • Roof leaks
  • Burst pipes
  • Taps & Toilets
  • Water jet drain cleaning
  • Gas leaks

Knowledgeable in solving plumbing issues that are common to Balwyn properties we are able to expertly help you with your plumbing needs. For a reliable and prompt Balwyn plumber contact Newman Plumbing on 9899 3442.

Here are some of the solutions we cover: