Ashwood Plumbing Experts Since 1988

Phone Newman Plumbing on: 9899 3442

Ashwood lies east of Warrigal Road, bordering Ashburton and Burwood, from which its name derived. Once a flourishing market garden district, from 1949 a Housing Commission estate was developed between the Holmesglen and Jordanville railway stations on the Glen Waverley Line. It incorporated a Commonwealth migrant hostel of Nissen huts near Holmesglen from 1954 to 1969. Architect Robin Boyd echoed the huts’ parabolic shape in designing a patented concrete-skin house and shop bordering High Street Road, built in 1952-54 and placed on the Heritage Register in 1997. Ashwood Primary School {1953}, Jordanville Technical School {1954} and Ashwood High School {1958} integrated in October 1987 to form Ashwood College. Between 1990 and 1992 staff and students reconstructed an urban wetland in the Gardiners Creek Basin.

The primary north-south roads are Warrigal Road and Huntingdale Road, while High Street Road is the primary east-west road. The nearest railway station to Ashwood are Holmesglen to the west and Jordanville to the east.

Until the early 1950s when residential development commenced in the area, Warrigal Road formed the boundary of suburban development, with market gardens, poultry farms and unmade roads to the east. The new dwellings constructed at this time were typically double-fronted cream brick houses. By 1951 the population of Ashwood had risen to an estimated 1500 persons.

The Post Office opened on 3 October 1949, but was known as Ashburton East until 1951. Jordanville Post Office in the suburb opened in 1953. Stocksville Post Office, on Cleveland Road, was open from 1955 until 1993.

Ashwood shopping centre is a strip shopping centre located on Warrigal Road and includes Safeway supermarket to the south of High Street Road.

A smaller shopping locale is located at the corner of High Street Road and Cleveland Road. The surrounding area is also known as Jordanville and Stocksville. The former supermarket and residence is registered as a Heritage Place on the Victorian Heritage Register. The building was designed by architect Robin Boyd and built in 1952 using the Ctesiphon construction method. Ashwood Reserve on Gardiners Creek includes hockey facilities for Waverley Hockey Club and ground for the Harlequin Rugby Club. A bicycle trail through this reserve links it to Gardiners Reserve to the north. Electra Reserve to the east includes a dog club, croquet facilities and a senior citizens hall. Salisbury Reserve to the south has a scout hall and play equipment. Ashwood is a suburb 14 km from Melbourne’s central business district and surrounded by Glen Iris, Burwood, Mount Waverley, Chadstone, Malvern East and Ashburton.

Ashwood is bounded by Huntingdale Road to the east, the Glen Waverley railway line to the south, Warrigal Road to the west and a wandering alignment to the north that approximately follows Carlyle Street, Zodiac Street, Gardiners Creek, Ashwood Drive, Montpellier Road and Arthur Street.

Newman plumbing are the experienced plumbers in Ashburton providing plumbing services to homes and businesses including:

  • Blocked drains
  • Hot water units
  • Roof leaks
  • Burst pipes
  • Taps & Toilets
  • Water jet drain cleaning
  • Gas leaks

Knowledgeable in solving plumbing issues that are common to Ashwood properties we are able to expertly help you with your plumbing needs. For a reliable and prompt Ashwood plumber contact Newman Plumbing on 9899 3442.

Here are some of the solutions we cover: